Barrister - Call 2007
Matthew specialises in public and private law proceedings under the Children Act 1989. He is regularly instructed to represent Local Authorities, parents and Children’s Guardians in care proceedings at all stages of the process from first to final hearing. In private law proceedings, Matthew regularly acts for mothers and fathers as well as ‘Rule 16.4’ Guardians. Matthew is often available to attend court at short notice. He ensures that his professional clients are updated promptly after every hearing and is also available to provide ad hoc advice between hearings as required. Matthew is also well versed in proceedings under the Family Law Act 1996 including applications for Non-Molestation Orders, Occupation Orders and transfers of tenancy. He has a wealth of experience before all levels of court from Magistrates to the High Court.
After completing the Bar Vocational Course in 2007, Matthew worked as a paralegal at a number of Magic Circle city firms before working as an outdoor clerk for a high street family law firm. Matthew undertook pupillage in London before spending several years developing his family law practice in St Albans, Hertfordshire. He joined New Court Chambers in September 2017.
Law LLB- London School of Economics- 1st (2006)
Bar Vocational Course- BPP Holborn- Very Competent (2007)
Called to the Bar in October 2007
Family Law Bar Association
Recent Notable Cases
- 8 day final hearing representing father in care proceedings- complex fact finding hearing involving bone fractures to a small child- multiple experts involved.
- Representing a local authority throughout care proceedings that required High Court involvement to seize passports and determination of habitual residence of subject child.
- Representing prospective special guardians in care proceedings where there were complex international issues of placing children abroad under Brussels II Revised.
- Representing a Children’s Guardian in complex long-running care proceedings involving 7 children and 3 parents.
“I am a local childcare practitioner who has experience of also working for a Local Authority. I have been very impressed with Matthew Burman’s work. In particular his consistently organised approach, timely reporting after the hearing, attention to detail and conciliatory approach. He brings a calm but firm approach to the cases, often brokering a sensible way forward which best suits the needs of his clients, be they Local Authority, parent or child. I would unhesitatingly instruct him on my cases and have done so.”
– Nicole Tynan, Senior Solicitor
“Mr Burman is very frequently instructed by me and this is because of his very good grasp and knowledge of complex care issues, professional manner and flexibility to instructions. Matthew’s personality is such that he is liked by all my professionals clients and they will often ask for him specifically to represent them.”
– Harveena Sohanpal, SBS Solicitors, Luton